Gearbox Identification

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Gearbox Identification
From: Joe Robson <absjmr@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 13:24:06 +0100 (BST)
Hi,

Can anyone help me with some gearbox information. I bought my SIV a while
ago with it came two spare gearboxes, since buying it the end of the box
where it goes into the propshaft has cracked off (I think because the
propshaft was too short due to the suspension being 'jacked up' at the
back). Not knowing the history of the spare gearboxes that came with the
car, I was wondering if there is any difference between the boxes fitted
to different series and if they are interchangeable or not, if they aren't
then do they have means of identifying them, serial number etc?. The car
has overdrive and a Holbay 1725.

Any help would be most informative for my mechanic,

Thanks

Joe

1964 Alpine
1968 Stiletto