Re: Gearbox Identification

To: absjmr@bath.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Gearbox Identification
From: Christopher.Albers@bubbs.biola.edu (Christopher Albers)
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 09:32:08 -0700
absjmr@bath.ac.uk writes:
>I was wondering if there is any difference between the boxes fitted
>to different series and if they are interchangeable or not, if they
>aren't
>then do they have means of identifying them, serial number etc?. The car
>has overdrive and a Holbay 1725.

All series gearboxes are interchangeable, except OD and standard of
course.  But you can switch between the non-synchro 1st and the all
synchro trannies.  There is a date cast into the side of the box that
should tell you the type you have, though I'm not sure what year the
switch to all synchro was made, late '64 maybe?  There's probably a
serial or model number there as well, but I don't recall.  I'm certain
someone on the list will know.

CNA