MGB vs. Alpine

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB vs. Alpine
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 12:53:14 -0700
Rick writes:

>Gents,
>It is with much sadness that I announce the sale of my
>Series V Alpine.  54,XXX original miles, Carnival red (original
>color), [SNIP]
>I recently purchased a '65 MGB (my teen years car) so
>the 'beamer has to go!  Feel free to call or e-mail me!

My question is not meant to be a joke, but serious curiosity.  When my 1967
Alpine was crushed, I considered replacing it with various other cars.  One
of the cars was the MGB.  Now, I've driven a number of MGBs over the years,
and drove one again when considering this.  But, you know, I just don't
like them better then the Alpine.  Quite frankly, I was to the point that I
figured the reason they must have sold so much was because of ignorance of
the masses, not because they were better (again, this was my opinion, don't
be put off, and I don't mean any offense to you).

So, my question to you is, what is it that you like about the MGB more than
the Alpine?  Maybe your answer is the same as mine - my '67 Alpine was my
first car, bought when I was 15.  So that went a long way in molding my
likes and dislikes.

I will grant you that the MGB has some nice lines, especially if you are
not partial to fins (pointy or not).  But, to ME, I found the fit and
finish of the Alpine much better, the interior nicer looking and more
comfortable, I found the MGB interior too plasticy (except perhaps the very
early ones, but those were not so attractive to me.  I also found the drive
of the Alpine smoother and feeling more precise (this is probably the spot
you might disagreee), especially with the gear box and steering, with the
MGB engine somewhat gruff and the Alpine engine being more "happy" in its
song.

Again, this might all come down to perception and opinion, formed largely
from starting with an Alpine or MGB way back when.

But, I'd like to know your thoughts.

Jay