MGB vs. Alpine

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB vs. Alpine
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:07:00 -0700
Rick wrote the following before I sent my last post, but I did not see it
until I sent mine:

>Guys,
>Give me a break!!! I'm sorry!!!  I don't want to sell it,
>but I can't keep the Sunbeam AND the MGB.
>It's not the matter of which is the better car (because the
>Alpine is way more technically advanced: REAL shocks, negative
>ground, GM alternator conversion) It's a matter of
>sentimentality!!!!  The 1965 MGB was the first
>cool car I ever owned!  It makes me feel 18 again just sitting
>behind the wheel!!  So, please, don't judge me too harshly, I
>am true-blue Sunbeam fan, I just can't house both Marques (at this
time)!!!

This is certainly why I stuck with the Alpine.  I cannot disagree with him.
Catching that feeling of being a teenager each day on the way to work
simply cannot be replaced.  If that's an MGB, so be it.  Had it not been
for that element, I am pretty sure I would have ended up with a TR3 - yes,
completely different in style and generation, yet very much the same in
drive feel (in comparison to MGs and Lotuses), but did have the edge on
more of that classic British roadster feel (to me).

I'd say go with the B and those memories.  Too bad you can't find a way to
keep both.  But that's life.  I've been extremely lucky to have the Alpine
and the 911 (not to mention the '55 Alpine, which still needs to find a
home).

Jay

P.S.  I will say though that should you decide to get an Alpine again,
yours sounds like it's going to be very hard to replace.