Re: Pressurizing Oil system

To: RootesRooter@aol.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pressurizing Oil system
From: "Kevin McLemore" <kmclemore@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 01:35:49 -0500
Yes, I agree - in addition to using oodles of pre-lube on assembly I've
often used the 'cold spin' method prior to first firing.  Having said that,
Triumph TR (Standard Vanguard) engines do work well with the "Spin the pump
thru the distributor hole" trick and I've got a purpose-built tool I made
years ago for doing it.  However, you can't do it on Austin/Morris or
Sunbeam motors, though - their pumps are cam-driven.

I will pass on a trick that I learned from an old Jaguar factory mechanic
who once worked for me in my shop - he was an older English gent, and was
indeed 'factory' trained - he used to work on the E-type line back in the
mid-sixties (lucky sod).  Anyway, he had a brilliant little home-made
adapter that was nothing more than a BPT plug that fit into the oil pressure
guage orifice (or any gallery plug hole), and it had a zirc fitting (grease
fitting) tapped into the flat end.  He simply twisted the plug in, loaded up
a large grease gun with motor oil - he kept a separate one expressly for
this purpose - and would then proceed to rapidly pump the lot into the
motor.... he'd refill the gun as many times as necessary until the oil began
weeping from the rocker assembly (or the OH cam bearings), but on many small
motors it only took one load.  It did the trick pretty nicely on most all
motors.  This only works, however, in a fresh one with tight clearances and
plenty of assembly lube... you could be pumping all day with an old sloppy
one!  (Ahem.. ahh.. err.. no... wait.. perhaps I should have phrased that
last line a bit differently?  :o)

Kevin McLemore