Re: Torque or not more torque

To: "Bruce Davis" <phyrman5@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Torque or not more torque
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 08:16:10 -0700
Well, what you are describing is what Rootes did to the Holbay engine, and
exactly what I was saying.  You are giving up on high end power for low
end power.  Nothing is free in this balance.  Remember, the original
Holbay set up was 120 hp, but when they got it to the street it was only
105 hp.  Part of this was the result of doing what you described,
narrowing the intake, and part from the change to the cam (which also
reduced breathing) - but all the loss of high end power to gain lower end
drivability.  Even to this day, nothing has changed.  Take the Honda S2000
for example.  Wild total power, but all at the higher rpms.  Just look at
the figures on various cars.  The higher the power on a same size engine,
the higher in the rpm it indicated at.  Nothing is free.  Of course the
geniouses at Honda have come up with all sorts of new ideas to keep some
power down low.

My point is still that throwing on the Holbay head, cam and Webers does
not make the Alpine a low rpm torque puller - and a 3.7 rear end could
cause too much lugging on the engine.  Remember that Jarrid sometime ago
was arguing that even a 3.89 might cause too much lugging on a Holbay
engine.

Jay

"Bruce Davis" <phyrman5@earthlink.net>
05/19/2003 07:54 PM