Re: Torque or not more torque

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Torque or not more torque
From: RootesRooter@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 12:37:36 EDT
In a message dated 5/20/03 8:20:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com writes:

<< My point is still that throwing on the Holbay head, cam and Webers does
 not make the Alpine a low rpm torque puller - and a 3.7 rear end could
 cause too much lugging on the engine.  Remember that Jarrid sometime ago
 was arguing that even a 3.89 might cause too much lugging on a Holbay
 engine.

 Jay >>

I don't think you'd actually LOSE low-end torque by going to a Holbay setup.

I ran a set of 3.70s on my stock-engine & carbed Series V for several years.
LOVED them on the freeway.  I also managed a first place in Modified Alpine
at the SUNI I autocross, so I wouldn't say I noticed any lugging.

Unfortunately, the front bearing race eventually went bad on the freeway, let
out all the oil, and cooked the whole unit for good.  Barely limped the 10
miles home on neighborhood sidestreets with the most awful grinding,
screeching, clanking sounds you can imagine coming the rear end.

Dick Sanders