autox-cm

re: Ft Worth Tour Report Please

To: autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Ft Worth Tour Report Please
From: Eric Jones <edj@austin.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:58:31 -0500
}I've seen the results . . . must be some interesting "happy" and "sob"
}stories . . . please!

We came, we saw, we needed a taller 4th gear. :-)

That's not true. I doubt I got above 6 grand in 4th. But it certainly
was interesting to go for about 8-10 seconds flat out in 4th gear.

Quickie observations:
I asked Bruce Dickey on Friday to give me a driving lesson during
the weekend and he kindly obliged.
Tommy Saunders was distracted all weekend setting up the course and running
the Junior Formula Junior karts (5 & 6 year olds in 3hp karts).
Jane Willis played tire warmer for Bruce and kicked my butt on Sunday.
I was happy to finish with my car still (mostly) in one piece.
Stuart Lumpkin learned that hitting cones on all three Saturday runs sucks.
Phil Berry had Tommy show him that his car has another 5 seconds in it.
David Stamman proved that new tires in front & old tires in back = oversteer.
Eric Fancher was overwhelmed his first time in a FF.
Ernie Grimm learned that rear brakes only racing is slow.

Something went wrong in Tommy's car on Saturday. For their third runs,
the car only had 1 or 2 psi oil pressure. They still went faster than me.
Tommy jumped into Phil's car on Sunday and Stuart co-drove Stamman's S2000.

Mike B. inquired:
}I still wanna hear about the Texas Tour event. I think this Eric Jones fellow
}is a  real "Sand Bagger" He said earlier this season that he wouldn't be
}beating anyone soon with his new car. Whats the deal here?????? Come on Eric,
}come clean on this one. Were you in Mexico over the winter training in
}shifter karts or something???

1) The car is heavy enough already, it doesn't need any sand bags added.

2) I've spent most of the time trying to get the car to stay in one piece
long enough to actually drive the dang thing.

3) I'm as surprised as anyone that I finished ahead of a few people. It must
have been the fresh tires, everybody else was using last years rubber.

By the way, if you notice how many seconds I was behind Bruce, you won't
be nearly as worried.... :-(

eric
"with a laundry list of things to fix on the car."

///
///  autox-cm@autox.team.net mailing list
///