autox-cm

Re: Cost of CM

To: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <samandgreg@qwest.net>, autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cost of CM
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 19:51:20 -0400
At 08:57 AM 4/19/01 -0500, Sam & Greg Scharnberg wrote:
>I have a friend (yes, believe it or not) that may be interested in the
>purchase of a CM vehicle.
>
>I have often preached that CM is one of the least expensive classes for a
>serious competitor since upkeep is simple and depreciation is low.  If
>anyone out there can send me an approximate budget for a 15 event annual
>schedule, I would like to pass this on to my friend.  I am looking for
>maintenance and expendables such as tires, not travel costs.
>
>I assume that he will be looking at a current Solo vehicle with gears, etc
>already changed.  I also assume he will be looking at cars for $8K or less.
>
>Your info would be appreciated.
>
>thanks,
>
>Greg

Greg,

In my case, I have gone whole reasonably competitive seasons without any
significant REQUIRED maintainance expense other than tires (2 or 3 sets),
one or two sets of spark plugs, an oil change with filter, and maybe a set
of points with condenser. If the clutch slave cylinder o-rings need service
(the car's only weak point), I get them from an 0-ring house. This means
that I need to use some Castrol LMA to replace and bleed the brake and
clutch lines.

My Tilton clutch disk was barely broken in after three years of use
(including Pro Solos).

I still have ALL the wheel bearings and rod ends that were healthy and/or
new in 1992 when I did a "ground up" after buying the car.

I had the engine freshened in 92 when I got the car and again in 97/98.
Replaced the few water hoses at that time. Cost: Less than $2K each time
and that included a variety of other stuff from the same engine and general
fabrication guy.

I run premium unleaded pump gas.

Every few years one of the rads will spring a pin hole leak.

Brake pads (street compound) and rotors (undrilled) have gone for years.

Brake calipers were last resealed in 92.

Every few years the water temp guage or the oil pressure guage will die.

Batteries can last for years. Wire connections may need freshening once in
a while.

A couple of 10/32 bolts in the shifter and starter shafts get replaced once
a season.

Taylor tweaked the back half of the gear box once to improve shifting and
when the car was still new to me I had to replace the input shaft and bearing.

Replaced the mechanical fuel pump once . . . just because it seemed like a
good idea. Ditto with the coil and distributer cap/rotor.

The header has needed repair a few times since 92.

Rust prevention and cosmetic painting, etc. as needed.

Replacement rub strip plastic under the nose every year.

The car is towed on an open trailer but stored in a garage.

Obviously the cost per year of the REQUIRED stuff is minimal (other than
tires).

Now, "Optional stuff" is a whole different story as I try to make the car
(or driver) FAST!!!

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford