Re: Supplemental Restraints for Small People

To: "Crooke John" <crooke_john@bah.com>, autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Supplemental Restraints for Small People
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 01:28:29 -0500
At 07:42 AM 10/6/99 , Crooke John wrote:
>Does anyone know if there's a company with an online catalog that sells
>those broad belts that secure a person to a stock seat? I remember being
>told about them by a woman driver who said it looked a little like a
>back support belt, only even wider - it covers the whole tummy, and
>longer, it goes around the seat, too.

The "whole tummy" -- that sounds painful.  It would also be tough to make
uniformly secure (since most people vary in diameter from top to bottom of
their tummy).

Here's the solution I use -- you need to buy 2 parts:

1. A small metal seat-belt retaining clip.  They are often given away with
   baby seats, but you can also buy them in most auto supply stores, and
   probably even Wal-Mart.  You place it across the lap and shoulder belts
   right behind the belt latch.  The result:  The lap belt is locked -- you
   can adjust it as tight as you want -- it will keep your butt from moving
   in most cars.  The shoulder belt will still be loose, so your upper body
   will be flopping around, but that's where part #2 comes in....

2. A 2" strap that goes around the seat and across your chest (for your
   wife, right under her bra).  That will keep your upper body secure.
   Perhaps not as secure as a full harness, but still quite secure.
   You can get this from Racer Wholesale for a big $13 -- call
   1-800-886-RACE and ask for a Torso Harness, AUT-110.

That should keep your wife firmly planted in her seat... it certainly made
a huge difference for me.

HTH,

Brian

P.S.
A cheaper alternative for #2 (or if you just can't wait for its delivery),
is to lock up the upper belt -- but you need power seats to make this
work.  After using the locking clip to lock down your lap belt, recline
your seat about six inches from where you want it, grab the shoulder
belt and thrust it forward by hand... if you do that hard enough,
the seatbelt mechanism should lock up (if it doesn't, take your car
in for service)... keep the pressure on it, and de-recline your seat until
the seat is pushing you hard enough against the belt to keep it locked up.
Now you will be held pretty firmly in place.  Disclaimer:  I am a man --
not sure what problems a tight belt running at an angle across a woman's
chest might cause -- this cheap alternative might be for men only.
Caveat:  if you ever do shift enough to release the pressure, you could
end up suddenly a bit loose in your seat in the middle of the run.
I definitely recommend the $13 option #2 above -- its more secure and
more comfortable -- but thought I'd mention the alternative.