Re: Rules question

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Subject: Re: Rules question
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 10:47:10 -0400
"Mark J. Andy" wrote:
> Finally, with regard to cages, Section 15.2 H refers to Section 3.3 B,
> which says "...roll cages are strongly recommended to be constructed
> according to section 18 of the GCR.  At a minimum they must conform to
> appendix C of the SIIR..."  But Appendix C specs a tubing size of
> 1.5x.120, and the GCR says a tubing size of 1.75x.095 DOM is ok.  Can
> I follow the GCR (less weight) or do I have to have at least .120 wall
> tubing?

I had a similar question in Formula Fords, and got a written
response.  I don't have the rulebooks here to quote them, but the gist
of it is that the Solo II rules say the same thing -- SHOULD conform to
the GCR and FCS, but MUST at a minimum conform to Appendix C.

Appendix C says that the driver's helmet must not be more than 6"
forward of the main hoop (doesn't say what part of the hoop or
helmet), while there's no such restriction in the GCR or FCS.  So my
question was, does this apply to a roll cage that conforms to the GCR
and FCS?  The answer was no, I didn't have to conform to Appendix C.

There's a number of places like this, that suggest that Appendix C is
less restrictive than the GCR and various class specifications, but
it isn't.  This probably ought to be cleaned up.

Mark