Rules question

Subject: Rules question
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 16:11:11 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

Couple rules questions:

For purposes of sections 15.2 G & R, is the hatch on a hatchback Fox3
mustang considered to be a door?  I'm asking to find out if I can replace
it with fiberglass and bolt it in place (for security when transporting on
an open trailer).

And, does section 15.2 C mean that I can't run tubes from the cage forward
to the strut towers?  I'm not sure how to read "Firewalls may be replaced,
modified, or notched for installing headers, carburetors, electrical
lines, and fluid carrying lines."  Can I only modify the firewall for
those items or can I modify it for the cage as well?

Finally, with regard to cages, Section 15.2 H refers to Section 3.3 B,
which says "...roll cages are strongly recommended to be constructed
according to section 18 of the GCR.  At a minimum they must conform to
appendix C of the SIIR..."  But Appendix C specs a tubing size of
1.5x.120, and the GCR says a tubing size of 1.75x.095 DOM is ok.  Can I
follow the GCR (less weight) or do I have to have at least .120 wall
tubing?

Sorry about the anality level here.  I just don't wanna spend a ton of
time & money making something that ends up being illegal.  If this hasn't
already been ruled on in the past, I'll write a letter, but I was hoping
its already been cleared up.

Thanks!

Mark