Re: Linnhoff gets hairdried?

To: JAC73@chrysler.com
Subject: Re: Linnhoff gets hairdried?
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:44:35 -0400

Hey, you - I'm trying to land this fish. Go get your own fish!!

>>Bah. The Neon motor turns out to be stout enough to take up to about 8lbs with
>>reasonable intercooler. The limiting factor appears to be the high (for a
turbo
>>car) compression, and pistons/rods that nobody has been brave enough to risk -
>>so nobody really knows how much boost they'll stand.

> Oh, yeah, the engine may well take it... for a time... but I was really
> referring to the transaxle, halfshafts, and drive hubs.

Thems are plenty strong enough, if you get the upgraded Mopar hubs - and that's
more for lateral G load than it is engine torque.

If I had a Neon, I'd do it.

> Dramatically increasing torque output will adversely affect driveline
longevity.

Not necessarily. It really depends on how much margin was built into the part in
question, where the weak links are, and how the car is driven - and how dramatic
the power increase is.

> This is true enough in any application -- including the IRS in my Cobra, the
> clutch, transaxle, and transfer gearbox in your Talon after so many ProSolo
and
> Norwalk drag starts

So far, so good. :)

You know, I swap out clutches every year before Nationals as a matter of course,
and the last two still had some life left in them. They were worn, but not worn
out.

I wish there was some sort of inspection hole. :(

And besides, a broken part isn't a problem, it's an opportunity to improve the
car. There's a Lancer EvoIII transmission out there with my name on it. :)

BTW, went 13.620 at Milan last weekend. You could do that too Eric!

> A 5 oz swallow cannot carry a 1 lb coconut.

An Afican swallow, or a European swallow?

> The reality is probably much different:  Linnhoff's little R/T shaking in its
> contact patches at the mere thought of Eric force-feeding it.  :)

That's not shaking, it's "trembling in anticipation".

See Eric? The Mustang guys are trying to talk you out of it. They're SCARED OF
YOU Eric! They don't want you to humiliate them! Do it! Do it now! Stick it to
The Man!

> Speaking of Mark "Kazoo" Daddio, has anyone noticed the rather prominent
> placement of Mark's "No Trunk Kits" decal on the cover page of the Pro Finale
> results deck and in the latest SportsCar?

It's good to see the National Solo types understand where their bread is
buttered. I feel bad for the innocent Solo Neon drivers, but I totally
understand why Daimler Chrysler <salute!> pulled the plug.

And no, I haven't seen it yet. The Canada Post dogsled hasn't been by this week.

DG