RE: Miata option questions

To: "'Tom Maycock'" <tmaycock@interaccess.com>,
Subject: RE: Miata option questions
From: Kevin McCormick <ktm@unify.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 15:12:05 -0700
Hi Tom,

Since I'm part of the 'dreaded perch height' stuff, I'll try to help a bit.
:-)

Co-driver Katie Elder has a '99 Sport and we worked on getting it right for
Kansas, but decided to take my '95 instead.  So, we learned much on the '99.

Before I forget, the second place Miata was a Sport on the factory Bilsteins
- so yes, they work pretty dang good - the disadvantages are that they are
not adjustable, and are high presure, so make the car a bit higher.  Note
that ShockTek can re-valve and make the Bilsteins adjustable.

We had tried the manual rack on the '99 and found it to be harder than the
manual on my '95 - maybe we did something wrong, but we put the PS back on
and went from there.  The PS is pretty good - we've never beaten it or the
like - it is quite quick, so takes a bit to get used to finess the car
around.

As far as the sport/non-sport - the 14's would be an advantage, although
with the 4.3 rear end, the gearing is almost _too_ short with the 14's (Gary
Thomason ran a San Diego members non-sport model at the San Diego Tour and
had to shift more than the rest of us - including Sport models.)

My suggestion - get the sport and if you get a good deal on a '99 w/ps, all
the better.  Put a larger front sway bar on, get an alignment and have fun.

Funny that you're going to a Miata to un-learn your bad habits - I'm going
back to FWD (an Integra Type-R) for the same - to re-learn the good habits I
had there.  I think that your FWD skills you learned will do you good in the
Miata.

Good Luck,

Kevin McCormick
1997 Integra Type-R (GS, DS, where, oh where???)
1995 Miata R (for sale - shocks/swaybars/exhaust come off as time permits!)