RE: Miata option questions

To: Kevin McCormick <ktm@unify.com>,
Subject: RE: Miata option questions
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 05:32:27 -0700 (PDT)
--- Kevin McCormick <ktm@unify.com> wrote:

> We had tried the manual rack on the '99 and found it
> to be harder than the
> manual on my '95 - maybe we did something wrong, but
> we put the PS back on
> and went from there.

Might have something to do with the scrub radius of
the front suspension.  '90-97 Miatas are pretty close
to zero in stock form, which hurts road feel a little
but makes manual steering easy.  I don't know about
'99 geometry but the alloy rims have 5mm less offset,
which might increase scrub radius and cause a little
more wheel fight.  Adding spacers would make matters
worse.

>  The PS is pretty good - we've
> never beaten it or the
> like - it is quite quick, so takes a bit to get used
> to finess the car
> around.

I've only once beaten the PS on my '96, on a super
tight McKamey slalom with ancient PS fluid (and a
driver getting *way* behind the car! :)  One of these
days I'll get around to putting synthetic in...

BTW power steering *is* pretty heavy...curb weight
specs have gone up by 30 lb or so this year with
addition of PS and PW as standard.

Craig Blome