Re: Question: Physics of Slaloms

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question: Physics of Slaloms
From: bruce haden <bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 12:23:36 -0700
>Problem is this:  At the junctions between arcs, the
>car would have to have an instantaneous change in
>lateral acceleration from full-left to full-right in
>order to make this work.  That obviously isn't
>possible.

The car that can do this the quickest and stay under control
is likely to be the fastest. Ever see Naglers BMW or
Ankenys S2000 CM car? The chassis needs to go from
full left to full right in the shortest possible time and then
immediately stabilize there. The longer it takes for the
car to do this the less time it spends at max Gs. The
better the car transitions, the more the path it traces
begins to look like an arc. I think most cars follow more
of a sinusoidal path because they don't...