Re: Why not "pro" cone chasers?

To: "'dg50@daimlerchrysler.com'" <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>
Subject: Re: Why not "pro" cone chasers?
From: Alan Pozner <AlanP@identicard.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 08:49:11 -0400
DG wrote:

>>Time to tip another sacred cow. :)
<major snip>

I think there are several important parts that DG left out of his proposal
of hiring high school kids to be corner workers

1) Taxes - if we hire part-time workers we need to pay their payroll taxes (
I imagine that school districts get out of this through some loophole ??? )

2) Liability - are we really planning on putting these kids in harms way
with no increase in our liability coverage? What would mom and dad say if 15
year old Johnny gets wacked off at the ankles by some screaming "race" car.

3) Reliability - while I have seen some pretty inept "volunteer" corner
workers, I can not help but think that paying high school kids minimum wage
for a few hours per month is not the best way to get quality workers. At
least with our current "volunteer" system we at least have peer group
pressure keeping folks alert.

4) Some of us like to share in the work of an autocross and find our time on
course in close proximity to cars at speed may give us a competitive edge.

Overall I vote no. Nice idea though :-)

Regards,
Alan