Re: Why not "pro" cone chasers?

To: Alan Pozner <AlanP@identicard.com>
Subject: Re: Why not "pro" cone chasers?
From: Jamie Sculerati <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 09:24:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Alan Pozner wrote:

> I think there are several important parts that DG left out of his proposal
> of hiring high school kids to be corner workers
>
> 1) Taxes - if we hire part-time workers we need to pay their payroll taxes (
> I imagine that school districts get out of this through some loophole ??? )

Nope -- I worked part-time for the school district when I was in high
school.  They withheld all the normal taxes like any other paycheck I
received.

> 2) Liability - are we really planning on putting these kids in harms way
> with no increase in our liability coverage?

So long as they were signed up as "participants" and signed the waiver,
the normal event insurance should cover this.  There's no requirement that
"participants" be drivers.  They'd also have to have a signed minor
waiver and meet the age limit for being out on course -- but isn't that 12
now?

> What would mom and dad say if 15 year old Johnny gets wacked off at the
> ankles by some screaming "race" car.

Since they signed the waiver....  But yes, that would limit the pool of
potential recruits.

> 3) Reliability - while I have seen some pretty inept "volunteer" corner
> workers, I can not help but think that paying high school kids minimum wage
> for a few hours per month is not the best way to get quality workers. At
> least with our current "volunteer" system we at least have peer group
> pressure keeping folks alert.
>
> 4) Some of us like to share in the work of an autocross and find our time on
> course in close proximity to cars at speed may give us a competitive edge.

Ditto.  IMO, it's part of the sport's culture.  That doesn't mean it can't
change, but I think we'd be poorer.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing