Re: Novice advice (a short novel)

To: Mike Healy <mapman1138@interaccess.com>, autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Novice advice (a short novel)
From: "Crooke John" <crooke_john@bah.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 07:56:07 -0400
> Any amount of plow can and will take you off-line, and usually it will take
>you
> a long while to get back. There's where your time is going. It's ticking away
> while your speed is slowly scrubbed off (at the expense of your tire life, by
> the way), and while you struggle to get your car back around, tires howling
>all
> the way.

I just thought of a more visual way of putting this:

The time is ticking away as your speed is slowly scrubbed off (at the expense of
your tire life, by the way), and as your car continues to plow in the *wrong
direction*. You have to wait until all that speed is scrubbed off before you
can get
your car turned back around. All of that takes a *lot* of time.

Just think, if you had slowed down by braking hard before the turn, and had
actually
rotated the car into the turn, compare the positions of the two cars halfway
through
the turn. Car 1 has turned a bit, but is now sliding away from the next gate,
and is
waiting to scrub off all the speed it still has. Car 2 is poised to complete the
turn. By now they're both going the same speed, but Car 1 has a much longer way
go!

--
John Crooke
HS Honda Accord