Re: Superspeedways

To: kart38 <kart38@home.com>
Subject: Re: Superspeedways
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 11:48:17 -0500
kart38 wrote:

> I don't believe for a second that it is the fault of people building the
> superspeedways.  I believe it is the fault of bad luck.  There is no good
> way to hit a wall with the top of a car (any car!) but  in an open cockpit
> car it is just that much worse.  This is a bad example but there is a
> go-kart street race near where I live and at least two people have died in
> it (drivers).  At the point on the track were one of them was killed they
> are only doing 60 (he ended up getting hit causing him to flip into a light
> pole and a store front window.  After going through a catch fence, by the
> way.)  Just a defense for superspeedways.

There is no defense for superspeedways. Shit will continue to happen but
we don't need to encourage it by building structures with hard obstacles
inches away from cars that are doing way over 200 mph. Fontana is a
virtually brand new venue and it still suffers from the same safety
problems that all superspeedways suffer from. If you want to build safe
superspeedays tear down the walls and give the drivers some runoff room.
But no - that would ruin the experience for the fans who enjoy sitting
on the outside of the turns so they can see all the grisly incidents
close up. The track owners insist that the organizers are to blame by
allowing the cars to run that fast but it is really their fault by
constructing a popular nuisance.

IMHO.

Paul Foster