Re: Superspeedways

To: David Teague <david.teague@wcom.com>
Subject: Re: Superspeedways
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 09:16:12 -0800

David Teague wrote:
 Besides this accident happened on the
> inside wall, not the outside, the car was completly outta conrol before even
> hitting the wall, so people sitting on the outside of the turn had nothing
> to do with this accident at all.

Yep. One might even think that this accident was more probable because
of the extra run off to the inside, enabling the rear wheel to catch
into the turf and flip the car. But I am guessing that the original
poster is thinking that with outside run-off, the car would not have
bounced to the inside....But, I don't think that was the issue here. I
think it is more...that accidents happen, and as much the safety
features of the cars do incredibly help, drivers will sometimes get hurt
anytime you have these fast machines pushing the envelope. Who would
have thought a Mercedes would fly off the track like the what we say
earlier this year?

Reviewing safety issues to make the sport safer will continue to improve
the sport. Snap armchair judgements after a tragedy, to cast blame, is a
waste of time. The time is better spent now (IMHO) mourning the loss of
a young and promising driver...but I am sure Paul will disagree.

P.S. Nice post DG
Randy Chase