Re: North American Pylon's latest issue

To: lollipop@ricochet.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: North American Pylon's latest issue
From: TeamZ3@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 01:04:46 EST
<< North American Pylon went to the post office today (that's the
 national coverage issue). 44 pages, tons of pictures (tho we did miss
 some, sorry in advance).  It's as complete a report as we can make it,
 including results, and even protests. It just takes time & effort to put
 this one to bed. If you remember, last year we were about equally slow in
 getting it out. Our apologies. >>

Pat,

Why on earth are you apologizing?  When it comes to Topeka Nationals coverage
ABSOLUTELY no other publication comes even remotely close to the extensive
coverage of North American Pylon.  In particular, I was especially annoyed
with the Nat's coverage in SportsCar, which in most cases was a couple of
paragraphs of copy obviously generated by someone quickly scanning the end
results rather than embellishing on detailed knowledge of what actually
occurred.  It takes TIME to generate detailed quantity.  It takes EFFORT to
do your homework and write a quality, factual piece of the event happenings.
I'm only disappointed that my personal situation this year prevented me from
contributing to your cause.

Now before Rocky goes ballistic on me (!), let me qualify that SportsCar only
has limited space for articles, is dependent on people volunteering for the
job (though they do get paid, whereas NAP writers do it for kicks only), and
they are on a very tight schedule to get the articles to press (way too
tight, IMO), but I have this complaint about SportsCar Solo2 and Pro Solo
event articles in general, not just Nat's.  However (grab hold of your toosh
Rocky), what I like most about NAP articles is that they are printed in their
entirety as the writer supplied them; good, bad, or insanely whatever, rather
than re-engineered into mediocrity (that's PC for editorially butchered, as
viewed from the original artiste' :-).

I guess this means I won't be on the please-volunteer list next year

Va-va-voom :-0

mAs
 - the little SOB still comes out to play once in a while