Re: re : John Havranek drove Lucy!

To: AnalogMike@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: re : John Havranek drove Lucy!
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 21:54:54 -0500
At 10:54 AM 11/2/1999 EST, AnalogMike@aol.com wrote:
>Check the venturis in your carbs - after he drives a car they
>magically get larger. While you are at it, check your gears, clutch,
>and pistons as they may have also evolved spontaneously.
>:-)

>Regards, mike piera  AnalogMike@aol.com  '72 911S Targa, '73 911RS Replica

Gosh, is that why my Lotus got faster after John moved to SF. I always
thought it was because he was so fast a driver that I had to learn how to
drive :-)

Funny thing, a totally legal stock Porsche 911 (if you picked the right
one) from the 70's had more LEGAL performance options than a Street
Prepared Lotus Europa (well, almost :-). Thank goodness for light weight
and good luck!

I think some of the 911's had as many AUTOCROSS RELEVANT LEGAL options as
my CM formula ford has (well, almost :-)

Seriously, John was, and apparently is still, quite a driver. His attention
to detail might have been a little lax, but then he always thought the 2.0
914-6 was at a major disadvantage to some of the 911's in the class.

>From having seen and worked on close up, as a trusted friend and
competitor, the condition of John's car, I can say with confidence that any
possible illegalities were more than cancelled out by the general worn out
and/or low bucks repairs condition of the car. John just flatout drove,
especially when he got "pissed off"! Heck, he probably had the illegal
timing chain tensioners and we know how much of an advantage they are :-)

I absolutely believe that strict adherence to the rules is necessary.
However, John was not as fast as he was because his car wasn't legal. He
was just fast . . . as were a bunch of the people he ran up against, such
as Mike.

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford