Re: re : John Havranek drove Lucy!

To: rasmussend@mindspring.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: re : John Havranek drove Lucy!
From: AnalogMike@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 22:36:04 EST
In a message dated 11/2/99 6:53:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rasmussend@mindspring.com writes:

>  From having seen and worked on close up, as a trusted friend and
>  competitor, the condition of John's car, I can say with confidence that any
>  possible illegalities were more than cancelled out by the general worn out
>  and/or low bucks repairs condition of the car. John just flatout drove,
>  especially when he got "pissed off"!

I agree completely, he was (is?) an absolutely amazing driver. Which made
it sad that he felt the need to bend the rules so much, year after year.

> Heck, he probably had the illegal
>  timing chain tensioners and we know how much of an advantage they are :-)

LOL!! Actually they were $$ not well spent to him so I think he would
rather buy something to make it fast than last.

>  Funny thing, a totally legal stock Porsche 911 (if you picked the right
>  one) from the 70's had more LEGAL performance options than a Street
>  Prepared Lotus Europa (well, almost :-). Thank goodness for light weight
>  and good luck!
>  I think some of the 911's had as many AUTOCROSS RELEVANT LEGAL
> options as  my CM formula ford has (well, almost :-)

I can't really think of any relevent 911 options. The ride height adjustment
was on all 911s from the 60s to 1989. LSD was an option but I didn't
need it and I think it would have plowed more. Rear sway bar (std on S) is not
that impressive... my oil cooler and big brakes on the S only hurt (weight).
if you can think of any other options let me know and maybe I can try AS
again!!

>  I absolutely believe that strict adherence to the rules is necessary.
>  However, John was not as fast as he was because his car wasn't legal. He
>  was just fast . . . as were a bunch of the people he ran up against

Yes, in '88 or so he co-drove Ken Richens 911T and did really well
(2nd?) proving without a doubt that he was a great driver.

Regards, mike piera  AnalogMike@aol.com  '72 911S  '73 911RS Clone

my racing pages - http://www.analogman.com/911

~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects   www.analogman.com