Re: Type R in GS

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Type R in GS
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 22:38:09 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Joe Goeke <buttheat@hotmail.com>

> While I agree with fellow Team Butt Heat Bauer on the "classes change", I
do
> not agree that they change unless the SCAC/SEB decide for them to do so.
> The classing case of the Type R in GS was not thought to have changed the
> class.  For what I have been told, for unknown reasons to me, the SCAC/SEB
> still do not think the Type R is an over dog in GS.  While I see the Talon
> to be close or maybe as quick, the others don't stand a chance.  Just look
> at that data from this year.

That's the problem -- everyone's looking at a single year to make their
comparisons.  I did a quick check of G Stock results from the Nationals and
Tours for the last *three* years and found that the cars changed, but to a
great extent, the drivers did not.  For drivers who stayed in the class over
that time, the same names kept popping up in the top spots...Endicott,
Goeke, Bauer, McIver, Bellamy, Birchard, Zimmerman....

Now having the top drivers in a class go for the hot car of the moment is a
hazard of running in Stock -- but does the car make the driver or the driver
make the car?  I saw no evidence of a mid-pack driver or backmarker getting
the car-of-the-moment and overwhelming the front-runners.  And a *really*
interesting tidbit:  I was talking with one of our local guys (Eric
Kriemelmeyer,Scooby Impreza 2.5) who'd made the trip to Topeka to run in GS,
and he tells about a conversation with Bob Endicott in which this year's GS
champ doesn't think the Type R is a terribly good autocross car!

The heck with the cars -- we should reclass Endicott, Goeke, Bauer,
McIver....

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si (still in the most interesting Stock class)
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr