Dodge 2500 vs. 3500

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Dodge 2500 vs. 3500
From: mrndr2@juno.com
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 15:51:33 -0500
It being the off season here in Pennsylvania, we're mucking around with
the tow vehicle situation.  Does anyone have any
real-honest-in-the-driver's-seat information about towing with the Dodge
2500 vs. the 3500 pickups?  There are relatively small differences (much
smaller than I expected) in what Dodge says they can tow.  (3500 has a
bigger PAYLOAD, but since I have no intention of putting the Toyota in
the bed, that seems less relevant.)

The 3500 has some suspension differences (bigger bar, but that's free in
Stock...uh, wait, wrong subject), a heavier duty alternator, the dually,
the mandatory long bed, but there's not as much difference between the
3/4 and the 1 ton as I expected there to be.

SO...has anybody towed with both?  Or either?

BTW, if you'd like to forward your opinion of Fords, Chevys, or earlier
generation Dodges for the list, feel free.  I will not be owning any of
those (Ford--straight up and down seat back STILL in the extended cab,
Chevy--too many of my friends and relatives have had serious durability
problems, old Dodge--too ugly to be let out in public [sorry, Paul
Brown]).

Anybody see any problems with my current favorite configuration?  (Or
have experience with the 2500 that suggests it would be fine?)
3500 (with the dually and the long bed)
Club Cab
Cummins Turbo Diesel
3.54 with the 5-sp or 4.10 with the 6-sp
4WD (although I'm aware of that weak link--the Toyota doesn't come out to
play in the snow, so I need something that can actually make it up the
driveway)

Oh yeah, and I'd like the color to be Driftwood, cloth interior, AC, &
cruise, just in case Santa Claus is a team.net subscriber...  The tow
package would be fine, but seems less critical if it's a manual?

mlc
'91 MR2 NA