Re: SP VTEC loophole

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SP VTEC loophole
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 17:18:31 -0800 (PST)
--- dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

> Uhh, there aren't ANY cars with "computer controlled
> camshaft timing" out there,
> in the sense where a computer directly controls the
> lift/duration of the valves.
> What you get is multiple camshaft profiles (normally
> two), with the switchover
> point between profiles computer contolled.

Not exactly...the Toyota VVTL-i system in the 2000
Celica GT-S continuously varies cam timing by rotating
the cam relative to its drive gear, in addition to
switching between two cam profiles.  As you say, not
equivalent to switching cams, but it is the equivalent
of adjustable cam sprockets.

Also, we're not too many years away from engines that
do away with camshafts entirely, actuating valves by
high speed solenoids instead.  There are power
consumption and speed limitation problems to be solved
yet, but they will be solved, and the resulting
engines will be devilishly hard to police.

My understanding is, a properly tuned VTEC controller
can make the difference between a smooth transition
and a large power spike in a modified engine.
Regardless, it qualifies as an internal engine mod and
thus isn't in (what I think is) the spirit of ST to
allow.

Craig Blome