RE: STU and Subframe Connectors, Etc

To: "Thompson, Adrian (A.L.)" <athomps9@visteon.com>
Subject: RE: STU and Subframe Connectors, Etc
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:44:19 -0500

> That means you can weld in your panhard/torque arm whatever.  Are you
> going to disallow that?

Existing weld-on devices allowed under current SP rules will be retained - but
don't expect to get any more of them.

> I won't even start the torque arm attaching to subframe connectors debate
> again :)

If you want to weld your torque arm to one of your subframe connectors, that
appears to be legal - but those subframe connectors had better be bolted in.

Maybe. I'd have to see a sketch of the design to be sure.

> Next. How do you define an attachment point?

A reasonable question, and one I've been wrestling with.

An "attachment point" is not a bolt, it's the end of the bar - so a
2-attachment-point subframe connector is essentially a bar, attached at each
end. How that attachment is handled is up to you, as long as it's bolted.

Note that means you can't triangulate the subframe connectors together - that
would be "one subframe connector with 4 attachment points"

Here's an example with upper strut bars:

Here's a typical riceboy strut bar

O===========O  2 attachment points

Here's a Mustang R strut bar
    / \
   /   \
  /     \
O=========O Three attachment points

Here's one I've seen for Volkswagons

O=========O
 /       \
O         O  Four attachment points

> If you'll allow two
> bolts each end could you additionally/instead continue the 'mount' from
> your subframe connector horizontally onto the floor pan are then bolt
> vertically through the floor as well?

I don't see why not.

Now this means you could fashion a mount that sorta looked like a suspension
point mount as attached to a monocoque race tub, with a flange bolted (which
would be riveted on a monocoque) to the floorpan... ugly, and heavy - but legal.

DG