Re: Cone Mulligans

To: "John Lieberman" <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Subject: Re: Cone Mulligans
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 16:08:49 -0600
the more I think about it, my "three-for-free" rule in the Mirror Khana is
sort of a Mulligan rule.

Here's how it works. Mirror Khana is the event that uses no clocks. Two
drivers run heads-up against each other (one starting halfway around the
course from the other -- no wheel-to-wheel here -- from a common s/f line
that crosses two parallel straightaways). First one back to his starting
point wins.

with no clocks, whaddya do about pylons? Well, we allow three for free. You
can hit three cones without penalty, the fourth cone is a DNF (but a driver
who hits 4 on the run will still win if the other guy hits 5).

At all the key places on the course, I put down double cones, side by side.
All the important apexes, a few of the important track-out exits are
doubled. And in three places where advantage could really be had, they are
tripled.

there was one place on the course, the "elbow," which was double-coned. A
left-hander feeding one of the finish straights. Drivers who knew (or
believed) they were clean would take out the elbow with the rightside wheels
of their car, thus turning a fairly abrupt turn into an easy lift-and-go.
The mere act of tripling the elbow brought that to a halt (few are the
drivers so confident they are absolutely clean they will chance taking out
all three).

IOW, a key aspect of a mulligan rule is cone placement in the course design.

--Rocky