RE: Cone Mulligans

To: Rocky Entriken <rocky@tri.net>,
Subject: RE: Cone Mulligans
From: Engstrom <engstrom@onramp.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 18:27:34 -0600
John Lieberman wrote:
> Rocky Entriken wrote:
>>
>> the more I think about it, my "three-for-free" rule in the Mirror Khana is
>> sort of a Mulligan rule.
>
> You're right!  And it seems to have worked quite well over all these
> many years.
>
> (big snippage)
>
>> IOW, a key aspect of a mulligan rule is cone placement in the course design.
>
> Absolutely!  And, if you do it right, the end result could be an
> absolute hoot!!!

Agreed!  Careful course design and a limit on the number of "mulligans" will
ensure
safety!

Craig, the disadvantage of your idea (having an entire run be a "mulligan")
would
be, IMO, a psychological disadvantage.  You see, the glee that I expect to feel
while lining up a cone in my sites, intentionally running it over, and hearing a
satisfying "thump", all the while knowing it won't coun't against my
time...well,
that has to be one of the best feelings in the world! ;^)