Re: Nissan 240Z

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nissan 240Z
From: "Ron and Angie" <nottingham@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:41:24 -0500
>OK...new subject, the S2000 is out for cost reasons, the Type R is out for
>availability reasons.....let's look ahead. Have been watching this develop
>for awhile now but haven't heard anything for some time now. Anyone heard
any
>news concerning Nissan's retro 240Z and a projected release date?

Anytime between 2001 and 2003.  If Nissan waits beyond that, they will go
the way of their business partners, Renault, and no longer import to the
USA.

>A balanced and blueprinted 2.4-liter DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder engine rated
>at 200 >horsepower and 180 ft-lbs of torque.

Last I heard, the 4-banger was out.  Possible engine is a 2.5L V6, which
would make it a 250Z.  I have heard HP ratings from 200 up to 250 for the
non-turbo six. No plans for the RB26DETT, though, since the Skyline camp and
Z-car camp are rivals and share no love with each other.  Plus, the concept
Z was built on the S13 Silvia chassis, the first gen. 240SX chassis, NOT the
S14 Silvia or last gen 240SX.  The S13 was developed before the R32 Skyline
chassis, but the S14 chassis work was developed by the Skyline engineers

>>Racing-style brakes from the Japanese-market Skyline GT-R.

The Skyline brakes would be wonderful, but would drive the cost up
considerably. Nissan needs the new Z car to be a value leader, like the
original 240Z, not like the late, great 300ZX TT.  If Nissan were to bring
the 240Z concept to life as it is, it would be in the $35K range.  About
$10K too much IMHO.  Nissan needs to bring this car into market in the
$20K - $25K range to be successfull.  Which has been echoed in the Z car
mail list since the concept debuted to a less than enthusiastic Z-car crowd.

Don't look for Nissan to import the Skyline any time soon, either (although
a company called MotorX does, for $96,000!).  Nissan's reasoning is if a
$40K sports car (read 300ZX TT) couldn't sell, a $50K+ sports car would
never sell.

Now, with the Sentra gaining in size for the next model (a little smaller
than the current Altima), along with a HP boost to 150-155 with the SR20DE,
and the Altima gaining a V6 (200 to 220 hp) and moving in on Maxima
territory, one has to wonder what Nissan is going to do with Maxima.  Rumor
has it that Nissan will put a VQ30DETT in it!  The VQ is the updated VG
series engine, BTW.

Ron - Dalton, Ga
84 300ZX Turbo
IZCC# 4779   TLS#30