Re: Stock rear swaybar legality question

To: "Lee Piccione" <leepic@smart.net>, "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Stock rear swaybar legality question
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 23:44:22 -0600
From: Lee Piccione <leepic@smart.net>

>Matt,
>  Got my handy-dandy dial caliper out and here's what I measured:
>The rusty end link and the new end line are exactly the same length
>(9.062")......
>Mounting studs on each end are the same length(1.840") and diameter
>(1.068")....
>The rod between each end is the same length on both (6.968").....
>Here's the difference:
>    The old link's center rod is 0.315" thick....
>    On the new link, only 1" in from either end is the same thickness, the
>center 5" is
>    0.395" thick....
>IMO (since I'm not a mechanical engineer by trade), I don't see any
>possible perfomance
>advantage with the new link.

Very interesting.  But not relevant.  The only thing that counts is the
manufacturers spec that shows it as the proper stock part for your car.

>Like I said previously, I checked all the date splits and they all list
>the exact same part number.

That's the part that counts.  Get a photocopy of that from the Toyota dealer
and put it with the rest of the docs SCCA wants you to carry around.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
LOON, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/