RE: Do Porsche Boxsters have LSD?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Do Porsche Boxsters have LSD?
From: "Leeds Gulick" <leedsg@nwlink.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 22:21:11 -0800
The optional 18" wheel size is 7.5" in front and 9.0" in the rear, despite
what the dealer's order form says. I'm certain this is a typo due to
carrying over this option from the 996 order list.

Boxsters push somewhat when delivered because the factory spec is actually
+5'+/-30' for U.S. cars, even for M030. That's right, positive camber! I
immediately adjusted the camber to -1.0 degree per side, which was the
maximum adjustment. Push is no longer a problem. I ran Hoosiers (245/35 and
275/35) on 18" Fikses, one set (for sale) with factory width and offset for
SCCA, and one set with 8.5" and 9.5" (10" was tried but would not fit) for
Porsche Club autocross and track driving. The 245/35's were a tight fit on
the 7.5's. Hoosier now makes a 245/40-18 as well.

The courses where I did well against Bill Buetow's 944S2 and Joe Goeke and
Anna Hedley's BMW were low traction (Kent Boeing), sweeping turns, without
many areas of hard acceleration. The Boxster has a torque disadvantage, but
is better balanced allowing you to keep the power on while drifting.

As for limited slips causing push, this was may experience with conventional
limited slips in the past. They made the balance of the car worse but the
added traction was worth it. Torsen type (Quaife) differentials are the way
to go, though it may take changing your driving style. They need to be on
the throttle and may cause off-throttle push when entering a corner in a
911. Slow down a little more and carry some throttle through the corner.

The most recent Porsche limited slips (993 and 996) are variable in that
on-throttle lockup is 25% and off-throttle lockup is 65%. This can cause
some off-throttle push and the behavior is more like a Quaife than earlier
limited slips. As of model year 2000 Porsche is no longer offering limited
slip as an option (Boxster, Boxster S, or 996), perhaps viewing it as a
stability feature superceded by PSM (Porsche Stability Management) rather
than a performance feature. PSM is not available as an option for the
Boxster or Boxster S.

The Boxster got along okay without limited slip, but could have used it
occasionally autocrossing in the dry when in first gear. The ABD (Automatic
Brake Differential), which will brake one rear brake to limit wheel spin,
worked better in conjunction with the limited slip on the 996 than alone one
the Boxster where it was more disruptive when it kicked in. ASC (Anti-Slip
Control - read traction control) is best left turned off in the dry, but
isn't as disruptive as traction control on other cars. I'm a bit worried
about the Boxster S with no limited slip available

Leeds