Re: A friendly tip, now lighting annoyances

To: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A friendly tip, now lighting annoyances
From: "Ron Bauer" <ronbauer@aa.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:32:16 -0800
I do it because of the increased vision it affords.  Someone earlier wrote
that as long as the fog lights are aimed correctly, they shouldn't annoy
anyone more than regular headlights.  I am a firm believer of this, and it's
been pretty rare that someone's "foglights" have annoyed me.  Typically it's
someone's headlights that are aimed incorrectly or on high beams.

Typical foglights help to light up right in front of your car and off to the
sides.  You may not think this makes much difference, but it can make a
difference between hitting something and not hitting something.

I am constantly amazed at how far lighting technology has come.  New cars
have very distinct cut off lines on the light, to the point that you could
point the car at a wall and draw a straight line with only using the top of
the light beam.  Fog lights don't go any higher (and in fact are quite a bit
lower) than a traditional headlight, so I don't buy the argument that they
should annoy another driver any more than the person's headlights being on
in the first place.

Now, if you want to get into real annoyances, let's talk about the idiot's
that don't turn their headlights on until _they_ can actually see the light
from their headlights!  Living in the Pacific Northwet, I am annoyed on an
almost daily basis when it's pouring down rain and people are driving around
with no lights on.  Sure it doesn't help them to see, but it certainly helps
me to see them.  Of course, since I was in an accident once because of this
very situation where I couldn't see someone coming until it was too late
because their lights were off, I'm probably even more sensitive.

Ron Bauer
Team Butt Heat
Y2K S2K