Re: Ayers Roll Hold the Mayo

To: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>,
Subject: Re: Ayers Roll Hold the Mayo
From: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:21:19 -0400
>>However, after reading your post I cannot come to the same
conclusions
>>as you. The most distressing part was the apparent proximity of the
>>timing van and car waiting to start. But I am tired of fighting with
>>all of you regarding safety. I'll just quietly watch from now on as
>>you all put the last nails in the coffin.
>
>Nice drama Paul....you should try theatre.

Why when I have an audience like you?

>Has anyone given a definitive distance to the timing van?  I'd be
>willing to wager that it was outside the distance prescribed by the
>rulebook, and the fact that a car can pendulum and then go over
>without hitting anything should tell you that things were far enough
>away despite appearances.

The minimum distance is 25 feet. However, the distance that solid
objects should be from vehicles is dependant upon the speed of the
vehicle. It is not stated in the rulebook as you should know if you
ever took the time to read it.

This sounds like a very fast section yet it was close enough to the
timing vehicle that it gave the driver worry that he might hit it. Try
again.

>I've come within 2 feet of a light pole before, and I've had my car
>spin and then take a backwards trajectory directly at the timing
>table at local events.  You cannot plan for everything, as you, Paul,
>apparently want folks to do.  I'd have hit that pole if I hadn't put
both
>feet in to the floor boards, but I wouldn't have been headed for it
>if I had used my head in the turn before the pole.  I'd have hit that
>timing table if I hadn't popped the clutch in 1st and burned off half
>a tire to arrest forward motion, but I wouldn't have been showing
them
>my taillamps if I a) had been on sticky tires or b) had taken the
last
>corner at a sane speed.

So you think that is some sort of justification to run even more
events that are obviously unsafe?

>But...let's blame the course designers and safety stewards.  Of
>course they should have seen that I was going to show up and do
>a couple of bonehead things outside the realm of sanity.

No, I blame people like you for just not knowing any better.

>If only we could be assured that you'll watch quietly...but somehow I
>just don't think that's going to happen.

Particulary with posts such as this. Don't try to teach the mule how
to sing. It will only frustrate you and annoy the mule.

Paul Foster
Only one car and I want to keep it that way