M3 Out of ESP - No Longer a Controversy

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: M3 Out of ESP - No Longer a Controversy
From: Jeff Winchell <jwinchell@Giftspot.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 10:43:45 -0700
Bob Tunnell whooped every ESP driver that competed against him all year,
including 1+ second wins in the ProSolo Finale and the Solo II National
Championship. I haven't seen ESPL results yet, but I expect about a 4-5
second win for Patty Tunnell. They both beat established national champions
and national champions by large margins ALL YEAR LONG.

But perhaps the most obvious reason the M3 doesn't belong in ESP is a driver
who has proved nothing prior to this year, ending up in THIRD PLACE at the
national championships. Todd's a very good driver, but no where near the
level of driving his results in ESP show.

And lest the "ESP ponycar drivers are weak crowd continue their whine", Mark
Daddio the god, took first place in FS (running in the heat right after ESP
ran) and his time would have been 16th in ESP.

It would be gravy if all the people who called me a whiner would say "I was
wrong", but it's not important.

The M3 should never have been classified in ESP the WAY it was done.

The M3 should have been removed out of ESP mid-year when it was OBVIOUS it
was whooping ESP (the rules about mid-year moves are being extrapolated into
applying to this case when they don't apply).

The M3 needs to be moved out of ESP NOW.

It is unfortunate that national champion level drivers were deprived a
national championship this year because of the SCCA's decision. Paula
Whitney and (probably) Eileen Lindberg should have had a ProSolo and Solo
National Championship. Mark Madaresh should have had his 2nd in a row.

And ESP attendence at the Solo II nationals was DOWN 30+% despite overall
Nationals attendence being UP about that much. So a lot of people who should
have been having fun competing in ESP at this event, didn't.

It's not clear who was happy this year, other than BMW, a few BMW
aftermarket companies, and a few M3 drivers.