Re: Stock Classing

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stock Classing
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 20:19:56 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com>

> Autoxers buy the cars they buy because they expect them to be competitive
in
> their class.  Stock class drivers turn their cars over relatively quickly
> anyway, I imagine the mode would be 2-3 years.

That *may* be true of drivers in National competition -- although I still
see a number of "old" cars in the trophy results.  But autocrossing is still
predominantly a sport for local drivers -- the vast majority don't go
trekking across states to run events, and many didn't buy their cars with
class domination squarely in their sights.  Room for the baby seat often
intrudes into the decision....  Given that the SIIR, including the
classification rules, have to serve that entire population, ejection from
Stock at the 7-year point is a poor idea.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer that wouldn't upset lots of people....

  If such a rule were announced
> two or three years in advance; let's see, in 2003 you'd have to upgrade a
'91
> Miata to a '97, which at that point would be a seven year old car.  I
think you
> can handle the depreciation cost between a twelve year old and seven year
old
> Miata, Scot.

Maybe...although under that scheme, he'd be buying and setting up another
car every year.  So it's a choice between never really getting to know your
car or buying a new(er) car every couple of years.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si (not going anywhere soon)
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr