Re: How used is too used for AutoX?

To: "Jon Byrne" <rael@intelos.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How used is too used for AutoX?
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 18:27:46 -0600
Jon Byrne wrote:

>So, I'm wondering, assuming that it's been relatively well taken
care of,
>is there a point at which a car is just too "used" to be a
decent autoX
>investment?

I know of one autocrosser who made it a practice to buy wrecks
from which to build autox cars. He would have the frame checked
and straightened - to the favorable edge of any factory-specified
dimensional tolerances - as well as building an optimum engine,
replacing all the rubber bushings, etc., etc. He won Nationals in
stock classes multiple times in two of these cars, and he
trophied there one year in a car that he had built up from a
rollover less than 2 weeks before.

The advantage of buying used is that many of the things you can
expect to have to do to it are things you will _want_ to do to
improve the car's autox performance. There's the added plus of a
lower total investment, assuming you do any work yourself.

Jay