Re: Quad 4 headgasket

To: <eric10mm@qni.com>
Subject: Re: Quad 4 headgasket
From: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 15:42:13 -0600
I would be sure of the engine you are looking at - not all quad 4's are alike.
The ONLY one to own (IMO) is the HO version.

The standard 150/160 horsepower version is the one that is famous for the
headgasket problem, the 180/190 hp HO does not normally have many problems. I
wouldn't recommend the standard Q4 engine, even for a Sunday go-to-church or
run-to- the-corner car, it just has too many problems and requires too much
maintenance, again IMO.

The HO IDI cover tells you it is the HO version, and it has a large tubed cast
iron exhaust manifold on the back side instead of the 150hp skinny tubed  -
1/1/2" header. The plenum on the HO has HUGE runners, the standard has - again
- skinny little tubes for a plenum.

As you probably know, my son and I raced a basically stock '91 Q4 HO engine
(cams, cam timing kit, exhaust bolt on goodies were added - but no internal
mods) in the Fiero from '91 until '99, when I upgraded with an IMSA Calais
250hp motor.  We have NEVER had an engine related problem - at all - with the
91 engine in 8 years of competition (I road raced it for a while, then took
the cage out, autocrossed it for 5 seasons, and even ran an occasional low
14's on the strip with that engine). I did have an overheating problem early
on with the racing engine, but that was an engine builder problem, it turned
out. The person that bought the Q4 Fiero is still havin' fun and kickin' butt
with it, BTW. Just ask those that have been autocrossing in the Tucson/Phoenix
area so far this season!!

To answer your question about head gasket replacement, you have to strip the
cam drive covers, chain, and tensioners from the front of the engine. Then you
have to remove the cam covers and cams. Pull the head, change the gasket, and
put it all back together. You should take a close look at the chain, it does
stretch, and might consider a new one at this time. I would set aside a
weekend to do the job. The head gasket kit is around $150 from GM (I would use
that instead of the Fel-Pro after market), which includes all the gaskets and
seals you need to change when you tear down the front of the engine.

Hope this helps.

(TLS - forgot my number
No autocross car - no place to do it in Oklahoma!! - see upcoming issue of
NAP
Cadillac powered street driver Fiero
Dodge 2500 diesel pulling an empty Pace trailer
Geo Metro - maybe SM material??
and my wife's Plymouth Breeze)