Re: Quad 4 headgasket

To: "AutoX" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Quad 4 headgasket
From: "Dan Duncan" <gduncan2@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 20:33:53 -0700
Eric,
    I fully agree with Mike, it is quite a pain to do especially with the
engine still in the car, but none the less doable. The one thing that
I would add to Eric's list is to make sure to get NEW Head bolts
as well. FelPro should list them with the gasket set numbers. The
Head bolts used in the Q4 are a stretch bolt and should not under
any circumstances be used again!!! I just did the Q4 head gasket
on my recently acquired HO Q4 powered A/Prepared Fiero
because the company that built the engine reused the head bolts
which caused the head gasket to let go again very shortly afterward.
The other thing I might add also is to make sure to get a very good
shop manual, a factory manual will be the most expensive, but will
have info the would take two or three aftermarket books to get it
all covered. One more thing you may want to check before finalizing
the deal on the purchase, make sure that when the car was parked
that no water/coolant was left in the cylinders. It could be a rusted up
mess that would require a full engine rebuild including new pistons,
rings & block bored.

    Greg Duncan
    Other half of Team Python
    84 A/Prepared Fiero Q4