Re: Quad 4 headgasket

To: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>, "autox list"
Subject: Re: Quad 4 headgasket
From: "Mike Taylor" <miket@interaccess.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 13:37:33 -0600
Eric,

it is a pain but can be done yourself of you have average mechanical skills.
The key is to get a good headgasket.  The one from GM is junk compared to
the FelPro gasket.  About the only special tools is a torque angle meter to
properly torque the head bolts, and a hamronic balancer puller.  It took me
about 15 hours (using hand tools) the when I did one on my car.

Here is a quick outline:
1) remove Exhuast manifold, intake manifold & fuel injectors
2) Take off accessory belt & pull harmonic balancer & cover to the timing
chain housing & PS belt
4) Remove timing chain & cam sprockets
5) Remove timing chain housing
6) Remove IDI (Integrated  Direct Ignition) System.  It looks like a valve
cover on top of the engine
7) Remove the 2 cam housings & cams
8) Remove Head

While you have it apart you may as well replace the water pump. It is easy
when doing a head gasket change but a pain to do by itself.  Make sure you
put the Cam Housing to Timing Chain Housing gaskets in correctly or they
will leak.  Figure $100 to $200 for a FelPro gasket kit.

Hope this helps..

Mike Taylor
DSP  '88 Grand Am, Quad 4