Re: How viable is an M3 in AS or S3?

To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How viable is an M3 in AS or S3?
From: "Burns, James B." <James.Burns@jhuapl.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:27:35 -0500
Bob Tunnell seems to be the only one who was really competitive in an AS M3.
GH Sharp and Mark Sipe did pretty well too, but nobody has done very well in
one since.  I think that the Boxster and S2000 are probably the hot cars for
the class right now, but I think the M3, 968, and MR2T are still darn close
and can be competitive with the right driver.
It's interesting that you still see a lot of people running the MR2T in AS,
but the M3s and 968s have dwindled drastically.  I think this is because the
MR2T is as much or more fun to drive than any of them and costs a lot less.
The folks on a budget are having a blast in their MR2Ts, and the folks with
money have moved on to the current hot cars.  The M3 was competitive against
the MR2Ts in the past, and the MR2Ts are still doing pretty well (especially
at ProSolos), so I don't see why the M3 can't still be competitive.
The M3 really shines in the high-speed stuff like fast sweepers and
high-speed offsets.  It tends to push a bit in the slow corners, but has
gobs of torque to exit corners well.  I'm really amazed how good it is in
totally stock form.  I autoxed mine the day after I bought it last fall and
it was so well balanced and so easy to drive near the limit (I even won my
class).  Everyone tells me that it will do better with an alignment and
shocks, but I'm almost afraid to change anything since it is so good now.
Kent, if we are at any of the same events events this year and you want to
drive my M3, let me know.  Mine is a '97 that I bought used last fall.  I
also got some used wheels and Hoosiers.  I do plan to install some
single-adjustable Konis and do an alignment too, but haven't found the time
yet.  I expect to be very competitive locally and mid-pack at any national
level events that I might do.

Brad Burns
'97 M3, A-stock