Re: STS Tires

To: "Andy Whittle" <awhittle@fastrans.net>
Subject: Re: STS Tires
From: "Brian Berryhill" <brianberryhill@flashmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:57:42 -0500
We've talked a lot about tires on the streettouring email list a good bit.
And the area is very grey.  But here's my opinions and biases:

-Kumho 712:  for some people these work, but I've heard that it is not the
stickiest tire, but still offers one of the best bangs for the buck
-Bridgestone Potenza RE730:  the successor to the RE71, I've heard they grip
just as good or possibly a little worse than the RE71, and to not be fooled
by the high treadwear number (280, versus the RE71's 140), more pricey
-Bridgestone Potenza RE71:  my current set, worn out, I loved them, wish I
could get more
-Yokohama AVS Intermediate:  another good choice, wears quick, low price
-Dunlop SP8000:  I'm tempted to try these since I loved my D40M2's, low
price
-BFG ? :  I'm biased against BFG's for some reason, so I don't keep up with
them.  I've heard good things about the tire they only sell in 17" and
larger though
-Goodyear:  does Goodyear make a good handling tire anymore?  I hated my
Eagle F1 GS tires.  The Gatorbacks were ok though.

Then the $$ tires that I don't really research:
-Michelin Pilot Sport and MXX3:  haven't heard any complaints except wearing
quick
-Bridgestone Potenza S-02:  another nice one
-Dunlop SP9000:  looks like a rain tire, I think I read on the Tire Rack's
testing site that they wore quickly since they don't have large tread blocks

My next set will be either AVSi's or 712's or SP8000's.  Anyone want to tell
me which ones to get or not to get?  I'm pushing 10k miles on my RE71's and
will need some tires soon, but I'd like to get 15k-20k out of them and still
do about 30-40 autox runs on them.  When you quit laughing, tell me what to
get. :)

Brian