RE: Stock Rule Question: Struts

To: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Subject: RE: Stock Rule Question: Struts
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 12:40:37 -0500
Lowered??  Maybe the car has been returned to legal hieght, but I think you
know that lowering is right out the window, making the slot question moot.
If the car is legal hieght, there is some precidence here.  Neon ACR struts
can be run on a non-ACR Neon which did not come with the slots. You need to
locate the the hole correctly, and weld a washer in place so there is no
more adjustment.  This may or may not have been made official, but I
beleive it was clarified.  Running with the slots in place should draw a
protest eventually.

> > Why, what's your quandary?
>
>    The dreaded previous owner of our new car enlarged the holes on the
> lower bracket through which the bolts that attach it to the carrier fit.
> The distance to the spring perch and/or top mount has not changed.
>
>    On the other hand, I think this would allow a bit more flexibility in
> alignment ( which is probably why it was done, to align the car after it
> was lowered ).  And if that was legal, there wouldn't be such a fuss over
> which cars can and can't legally use crash bolts.

Patrick Washburn
C-Tech Trailer Cabinets
Designed for the Racer
Wausau, WI