Re: Stock Rule Question: Struts

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stock Rule Question: Struts
From: jac73@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 10:44:51 -0400
On Mon, 2 Jul 2001 11:50:21 -0400 (EDT), David Hillman asked:

>   Is the bracket which attaches the bottom of a MacPherson-type strut to
>the carrier part of the "strut", and by extension free ( well, subject
>to 13.5 ) in Stock?  Anyone care to take a stab at what, exactly,
>"dimensional characteristics" of the shock refers to?

>   My factory service manual refers to the whole assembly as a "shock
>absorber", which would seem to indicate, "Yes".

>   ( Not trying to cheat, on the contrary, I'm trying to be legal. )

The strut housing and any bracketry attached to the strut housing (such as
the flanges with bolt holes used to attach the bottom of the strut to the
suspension upright/hub carrier) are considered part of the strut and thus
must be dimensionally the same as stock unit.  I know some of my friends
around here running Saturns had to weld up the slots in their Koni struts
to make sure the dimensions were correct.  Some cars (notably
European-designed Fords), use what I call a "bayonet" lower strut mount,
where the upright/hub carrier clamps around the bottom of the strut
housing.  For those, particularly with single-point upper strut mounts
(like the Ford Mondeo/Countour/Mystique/Cougar family), that means there's
basically zero chance of getting more camber out of it without performing
an illegal-for-stock-category modification (such as offset-milling the
strut clamp bore in the upright).

Hope this is useful,

Jim Crider
autojim@att.net

The information contained in this transmission, which may be
confidential and proprietary, is only for the intended recipients.
Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this
transmission in error, please notify me immediately by telephone
or electronic mail and confirm that you deleted this transmission
and the reply from your electronic mail system.