Re: Emergency Weather

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Emergency Weather
From: jac73@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 09:43:24 -0400
On Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 16:14:24 -0700, "Lawrence Lane" asked:

>Quick question (novice),
>
>            Do autocross events ever run in the rain?

Larry -

You bet we play in the rain.  Running in the rain is a great way to learn
finesse and smoothness in your car-control stills.

Generally, the presence of lightning will stop an event, as will very high
winds, torrential rain, or other dangerous conditions.  This is under the
control of the Safety Steward for the event.  Locally (Detroit SCCA), I
tend to volunteer to be the unofficial Weather Steward when things are
looking dicey.  This is because I spent a few years as a trained Skywarn
spotter for the National Weather Service back 10-11 years ago in Tulsa,
Oklahoma, and I always have a radio capable of receiving NOAA Weather Radio
broadcasts (this happens to be my scanner, which has a WX hot-button that
scans the 4-5 frequencies used by NOAA and Environment Canada for weather
broadcasts) with me at events.

When I'm doing Weather Steward duty, it's my job to strongly suggest to the
event chair and Safety Steward that things needed to be stopped before they
get too hairy.

Jim Crider
autojim@att.net

The information contained in this transmission, which may be
confidential and proprietary, is only for the intended recipients.
Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this
transmission in error, please notify me immediately by telephone
or electronic mail and confirm that you deleted this transmission
and the reply from your electronic mail system.