Re: Emergency Weather

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Emergency Weather
From: jac73@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 15:21:39 -0400
On Thu, 5 Jul 2001 08:10:10 -0700, "Lawrence Lane" asked:

>Interesting....  Is the event rescheduled or just cancelled?

<Description of stopping an event in the face of extreme weather snipped>

Generally, major weather like that is a transient thing -- a storm, or a
line of storms, will pop up, pass through, and vacate the area.  This
usually means we're "down" during the storm itself, but as soon as
conditions improve enough to get things started again, we're back "up".
Obviously, lots of water can do evil things to your event electronics
(timer photohead wiring in particular), so making sure that your
connections are water-resistant is a Good Thing, and it'll sometimes
obliterate cone markings and certainly any course outlining.  We'll refresh
the cone markings, but usually not the chalk or flour course outline.

(the results of the latter can be interesting -- at Detroit Region's season
opener this year, we had a rain squall come through at the start of the 3rd
heat.  What we saw after that was quite telling -- you could really tell
who had defined the course in their minds by the cones and who had just
followed the white lines when they were walking.  DNFs increased
dramatically in the 4th heat even though we added a LOT of pointer cones in
an effort to help the situation.)

Think of it as a "rain delay" -- I can think of only a couple of events
cancelled entirely by extreme weather -- the Sunday activity at the Lubbock
ProSolo this year, for example -- as opposed to delayed for 30 minutes to
an hour or so.

Jim Crider
autojim@att.net

The information contained in this transmission, which may be
confidential and proprietary, is only for the intended recipients.
Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this
transmission in error, please notify me immediately by telephone
or electronic mail and confirm that you deleted this transmission
and the reply from your electronic mail system.