RE: Military autox sites

To: "'AutoX'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Military autox sites
From: "Jarrod Igou" <jigou@raquet.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:17:35 -0500
With the talk of groups using local military bases for autocross, I'm
wondering if a few folks that ARE using such sites could do those of us who
WISH to use similar sites a favor...

I know a few people have already started to share information about how
they've gained/maintained access to their local military sites in private.
I'd like to gather that information -- cc your ongoing discussions or send a
message to jigou@raquet.net and I'll be happy to compile the info and share
it with those who request it.

The details that I would like, and suspect are being discussed (among
others):

1. Did you have an "in" to the base? (A member happens to be CO, etc.)
2. Is it located next to an active commercial runway? ***
3. How long have you been using it?
4. How frequently do you hold events there?
5. Do you pay rent in some way? How/how much?
6. What size (small, medium, large is probably an OK start, but estimates
are better) area?
7. What restrictions do you face when setting up and running an event? (Must
identify all participants in advance, etc)
8. Can we have a representative of the local base contact someone at your
base? Who/how can that person be contacted?
8. Anything else you care to add...

*** If you're close to a runway, when you get a chance please point your web
browser to:
http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/advfind.asp?W=0

Enter your city, state and select "Place Type" as "Airport/Railroad Station"
(that's what I did for Des Moines, anyway - your mileage may vary)

Poke around until your autocross venue is shown in a recognizable form, then
copy and email that link to me with a little description of the logistics of
using the area. (Bonus points for doing some markup with Photoshop or a
related graphics program to show exactly where in the image it is. Hint:
alt-Print Screen will grab a copy of the active window and plop it on the
clipboard when on a Windows machine; that can then be pasted into your
favorite graphics program; OR click the "download" link in the upper right
web page and follow the directions. Email that graphic to me if you like.)

(Here's a quickie look at our situation:
http://www.kemin.com/temp/dsm_airport.html)

Any thoughts or input? We'd really love to gather the info and be able to
get on our local National Guard property - we're all fresh out of sites to
autocross on within 50 miles of Des Moines.

Thanks in advance!!

Jarrod

Jarrod Igou
Public Relations Director
Des Moines Valley Region, Sports Car Club of America
http://www.dmvrscca.org