Re: BIG DISPLAYS

To: callmebw@hotmail.com, autox@autox.team.net (Autocross List)
Subject: Re: BIG DISPLAYS
From: JVHT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 19:19:39 EST
In a message dated 3/12/02 5:55:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
callmebw@hotmail.com writes:

> Our club is investigating displays to connect to our timing equipment at the
>
> finish line for the drivers and another for the small crowds attending our
> events.  Looks like the choices are the Raceamerica LED display with 8 inch
>
> numbers or the flipper style Chronomix display with 6 inch numbers.  We
> heard Raceamerica has a new LED display with 5 inch tall numbers but it's
> not on their website.  We probably do not need an 8 inch display at the
> finish line so the 5 or 6 inch would work fine.  An 8 inch or larger would
> be good to point at the crowd.
>
> Any inputs on the 5 inch or 8 inch LED display or the 6 inch flipper style
> display?
>
> Bill Wilson
> NE Race Board Director

Bill,

Gulfcoast Autocrossers Ltd. in Ft. Myers, FL started using the RaceAmerica 8"
display last year. After being abused by heat, wind and rain it still works
great as an instant time display for the driver as they cross the finish
line. (we announce the time on the PA for the crowd) We plan to get a special
cable to allow us to hook the display up to the PC serial port (which is
currently dedicated to the JACircuits timer) so it will also show the
penalties and place in class in the near future. Currently we have it
connected to the display port of our JACircuits timer which just displays the
raw time.

Display is readable at the exit gate of the slow down when you cross the
finish line (approximatley 50 yards away) in direct Florida sunlight!

Thanks,

John Taylor
Gulfcoast Autocrossers Ltd.
Webmaster/Timing & Scoring Assistant