RE: [evolution-disc.] Andy's Top Ten Autox Driving Tips

To: awhollis@swbell.net, Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>,
Subject: RE: [evolution-disc.] Andy's Top Ten Autox Driving Tips
From: Mark Sirota <mark@sirota.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:40:03 -0500
--On Monday, March 11, 2002 2:41 PM -0600 Andy Hollis <awhollis@swbell.net>
wrote:
> PS: I like that line in "Gumball Rally" where the Ferrari Daytona drive
> rips off the mirror and says, "What eez behind us does not matter".  And
> in autocross, what is immediately in front of us does not matter, either!
> Because its too late to do anything about it!

I had a student several years ago hear what I was saying about looking
ahead,
and he translated it fairly cleverly.  He put a piece of tape horizontally
across the inside of his windshield, and refused to let his focus drop below
the level of the tape.  Worked pretty well for him.

On the eyes jumping around topic -- my looking ahead strategy has never been
to stare at a key cone, then jump to the next one.  Instead, my eyes drive
the pavement ahead of the car several seconds.  I'm looking at the path
through which the car will pass, not at cones that define it.  It's
therefore
a smooth pattern, not jumpy.  My eyes will occasionally move further ahead
along the course to find a key maneuver, and then slide back to a more
comfortable position ahead of the car, but they'll never jump from place to
place.  I've had students tell me that's very hard for them; it's easier to
pick up a key cone and then jump to the next key cone.

I was amazed at Nationals a few years back at the McKamey/Evolution course
debrief when Scotty White said he'd be looking at a cone at the end of a
straight that was part of a wall defining the *outside* of a massive box
turn.  I couldn't look there; those cones don't even exist in my world!

Mark